FLC Seniors Cycling
Old Spokes Cycling Club
FLC Cycling Club Newsletters
During our COVID19 confinement, the Communications Committee launched
a series of newsletters to bring some fun and information to our members.
Facebook OLD SPOKES private members group
Check the NEW Facebook group to see postings of rides members are undertaking on their own,
information about pathways, and conversation.
Where in the world has our Old Spokes cycling jersey traveled?
Check out this Travelers Log to see who has been where, and was prepared to tell stories about it. 'Show & Tell' us about where your Old Spokes cycling jersey has stood out in the crowd! Contact: by filling out this e-mail form. ([email protected])
ABOUT THE OLD SPOKES CYCLING CLUB:
We offer non-competitive rides for pleasure and socializing while exploring our city and environs.
- A variety of rides are offered each week from April to October.
- Cyclists are responsible for getting to variable start locations.
- Annual registration with a nominal fee is required.
We have 3 levels of cycling so all can choose the level that suits their ability:
- Level 1 – Cycle a minimum of 18 km on Tuesdays at a slower pace with fewer hills and more water breaks. Shorter rides of 10 km are available the first three weeks of the season for those of us wishing some preparation.
- Level 2 – Cycle a minimum of 30 km on Tuesdays and Thursdays at a moderate pace with some hills and breaks as needed.
- Level 3 – Cycle in smaller groups a minimum of 35 km on Wednesdays, and Saturdays at a somewhat faster pace on routes that may include hills. We regroup and stop for breaks as needed.
- All Levels - Pedal-assist E-Bikes are welcome.
- Watch for ride postings on days of the week beyond those designated.
You must be a member of the FLC Seniors Club
and also the FLC Cycling Club to join a Club Ride.
Click HERE to complete Online Registration
Then click on Ride Sign Up link below for more details
Steps to sign up for an Old Spokes Cycling Club ride:
- Complete the online Cycling Club Membership process (click on Activities in the FLC Club Membership page.)
- Review and abide by the Old Spokes Cycling Club Rules and Guidelines to ensure a safe, orderly, and enjoyable cycling experience for all.
- E-bike riders - review Electric Bikes on Pathways regulations from the City of Calgary. The same rules apply to Alberta Parks pathways like in Fish Creek Park. (For more on Power Bicycles, you can see page 7 of Alberta Transportation.) AND review FLC Cycling Club Group Riding Guidelines for E-Bike Riders.
- Click on the green Ride Sign Up button below to see the rides currently available, enter your Cycling Club membership number, and sign up for your choice.
- Only those members who have registered for a ride will receive an email by 8:00 AM to notify about ride cancellations.
- If you need to cancel after you register for a ride, return to that ride again, enter your membership number again, and use the cancel button. Your name will be deleted from the Riders list for that ride.
Ride Sign Up
Scroll down for more information
FLC Seniors Old Spokes Cycling Executive Committee and Responsibilities
How to create a shortcut to the FLC Seniors Old Spokes Cycling website on your desktop
Review these pages to get started in cycling, and to enhance your safety and cycling skills.
Contact & Club President: Linda Edwards Green - (403) 252-8017
Membership: Rick Stothard (403) 281-4582
For all inquiries, contact the Old Spokes Cycling Club
by filling out this e-mail form. ([email protected])