FLC Seniors Tai Chi
Tai Chi is a centuries old Chinese Martial Art consisting of slow, rhythmic, and focused movements that promote peace, calm, and strength by harnessing ones personal energy into unique flow patterns. FLC Seniors offers Cai's Tai Chi which is based on the 105 movement traditional Yang Style, the most popular form practiced in China.
Benefits of Tai Chi: Tai Chi has become very popular among seniors for achieving and maintaining good health and a sense of well being. In one study, adults in their 60s and 70s, who practiced Tai Chi three times a week for 12 weeks (1 hour classes), were given a battery of physical fitness tests both before and after trial intervals. Statistically significant improvements were observed in balance, muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility measures after only six weeks, and they increased further by the end of the 12 weeks.
Additional benefits reported from the continuous practice of Tai Chi:
√ Improvement of posture, core area strength, and mental focus
√ Reduction of pain, stress, and blood pressure levels.
√ Studies suggest a 150 lb. person can burn 270 calories per hour.
√ One study showed that practicing Tai Chi may assist in maintenance of the immune system.
√ Bonus enjoyment through relaxation and fun in a sociable group environment.
Instruction: Our classes are taught by Master Geng Z. Cai and Master Vicky Wu, two highly qualified instructors. They use their own Cai method of instruction emphasizing the body core, i.e. the Ming Men and the Dan Tien. The movements are presented in an invigorating yet relaxing exercise format where students are encouraged to focus on the quality, rather than quantity, of movements learned.
Classes: Fall 2017 - September 7 to December 7 (13 weeks) - $70.
Winter 2018 - January 11 to March 22 (10 weeks) - $70.
Spring 2018 - April 12 to June 28 (12 weeks) - $70.
Where: Trico Centre 11150 Bonaventure Drive SE (east of the Southcentre Mall).
When: Thursdays (1 hour classes)
- Level 1 (Beginner) at 10:50 AM
- Level 2 at 9:40 AM
- Level 3 at 12:00 PM
- Level 4 at 10:50 AM
- Level 5 (Advanced) at 9:40 AM
- Levels 2 through 5 are only for those with previous experience with Cai's Tai Chi.
Registration (all participants must be members of the FLC SENIORS CLUB):
- To register for the club, click on the "MEMBERSHIP INFO" icon at the top of this page.
- To register for a class, contact the Tai Chi Coordinator via email or phone, as noted at the bottom of this page.
- CONDITIONS of REGISTRATION: 1) A registration is completed when the class fee has been received and the FLC Seniors Club Membership # has been confirmed as current. 2) If a class is cancelled before it starts, participants will be offered: an alternate class, or a cancellation of their registration with a full refund of their class fee. 3) A participant may cancel their registration AFTER THE FIRST CLASS BUT BEFORE THE SECOND CLASS. The Coordinator must be notified in time. Their class fee will be refunded, minus a $10 charge. 4) NO REFUND REQUESTS will be accepted AFTER THE SECOND CLASS. 5) All participants are required to wear a unique t-shirt supplied by the instructors. First-time participants will receive their free t-shirt after registration is closed. 6) These conditions apply to ALL participants of the the Tai Chi Activity.
For further information, contact by filling out this e-mail form (email@example.com)
Contact & Coordinator: Juliette Lemieux-Gordon 403-225-1593