Ridden twice by some in 2019, this scenic spectacular car free ride climbs 700 metres vertical and the summit is the highest paved road in Canada. Closed to cars until Jun 15th for wildlife management.
Copy and paste this text below into your browser and hit Enter for a full map
1. Car pool location: Somerset Bridlewood LRT station parking lot SW corner. Leave at 09:15, 80 minutes driving time
2. Bear spray (although the wildlife is getting used to cyclists by then)
3. If you have a Sat phone bring it for emergencies as there is no cell phone service.
4. The date may be pushed into June if there is still snow or ice on the highway
5. Average grade is 2% with a 4% section near the summit. Ideally your bike should have a small chainwheel that has fewer teeth than your largest cassette cog for an efficient climbing cadence. E-bikes welcome.
Driving directions: Take Hwy 22 South towards Longview. Last chance for gas, cell phone service and flush toilets. Just before the gas station head West on Hwy 541 to the junction of Highway 40 and Hwy 940. The road we ride is Highway 40 North, meet by the gates. Multiple washrooms on the route.
Meeting Location: Junction Hwys 40, 541 and 940 by the gates.
Leader: Brock Burwash 403-467-1628
Note that you need to be a current member of both the FLC Seniors Club and the Old Spokes Cycling Club to participate in a ride. For information on membership, check the membership page.